What Is the Coronavirus?
You must hear about the coronavirus. It becomes a social media topic in recent days. The coronavirus is a respiratory virus named for the spikes that protrude from its membrane, which resemble the sun’s corona.
Where is the coronavirus found?
It’s found and an outbreak in Wuhan a city of China. Scientists discovered that it came from Vats then snakes to humans. It has now appeared in 11 other countries, including the United States.
What are the signs and symptoms of coronavirus infections?
The symptoms depend on the type of coronavirus and how serious the infection is. If you have a mild to moderate upper-respiratory infection such as the common cold, your symptoms may include
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Not feeling well overall
Some coronaviruses can cause severe symptoms. The infections may turn into bronchitis and pneumonia, which cause symptoms such as
- Fever, which may be quite high if you have pneumonia
- Cough with mucus
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain or tightness when you breathe and cough
Severe infections are more common in people with heart or lung diseases, people with weakened immune systems, infants, and older adults.
How is coronavirus diagnosed?
To make a diagnosis, your health care provider will
- Take your medical history, including asking about your symptoms
- Do a physical exam
- May do blood tests
- May do lab tests of sputum, a sample from a throat swab, or other respiratory specimens
What are the treatments for coronavirus infections?
There are no specific treatments for coronavirus infections. Most people will get better on their own. However, you can relieve your symptoms by
- Taking over-the-counter medicines for pain, fever, and cough. However, do not give aspirin to children. And do not give cough medicine to children under four.
- Using a room humidifier or taking a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough
- Getting plenty of rest
- Drinking fluids